tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: License files error
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:22:44 GMT

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Mark Thomas wrote:

> A lot of the license files in tomcat have the following lines:
>
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code  must retain the above copyright notice *
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.          *
>
> Note that "notice" appears at the end of the first line as well as the
> beginning of the second.

Ok - no problem, genuine error - permission for a committer to fix this;
BUT I strongly suggest to play it safe and follow this procedure:

->	post a patch _first_, Cc: the PMC and licensing@apache.org

and then

->	commit exactly that patch after a quick OK from your PMC.

Make sure there are no other changes in that commit - no code, nothing
(except perhaps something like the CHANGES file) but the above fix and
make sure there is a nice log message saying what was changed to the
license and why ;-)

Sorry to be overly careful; but the last time we had such a 'quick and
trivial fix' we lost a few lines out of the disclaimer in a few files by
accident due to \r\n inconsistency and it took us a while to notice.

Dw