tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominik Drzewiecki" <drz...@post.pl>
Subject Re: [5.0] New Xerces release
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:29:05 GMT
>There's a new Xerce 2.6 release, but I still plan to include 2.5 in
>tomorrow's tag (which works). 2.6 *apparently* works (without any
>noticeable improvements either), but I fear possible schema related
>regressions. So not upgrading for this tag is intentional, and I'll
>update build.properties right after the tag :)

It works indeed.
I performed a microbenchmark measuring tomcat startup times without validation,
with xerces 2.5 and xerces 2.6.

	run1	run2	run3	avg	norm1	norm2	norm3
off	17715	17606	17445	17588	1	0,80	0,88
2.5	21771	21841	21845	21819	1,24	1	1,09
2.6	19988	19769	19858	19871	1,12	0,91	1

I have made three runs (columns run1, run2 and run3)
Since startup times measured in ms are of no special interest (they depend on
particular hw/sw platform), columns (norm1, norm2 and norm3) show data normalized
to avg of off, 2.5 and 2.6 respectively.
Row names are self explanatory.

I think that if there are no regressions in xerces 2.6 it is worth switching to
(provided you *do* validate xmls).

Let the discussion begin.

cheers,
/dd