tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [site] Metrics
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:28:26 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to run some metrics (JDepend, CheckStyle) on the tomcat 5
> source code and publish them on the web site.  Does anyone think this is
> a bad idea?

Yes, me. Being too strict with coding styles is IMO bad, esp since it
does not reflect the code quality of developers (ex: Costin writes
efficient code). Plus it would be finger pointing at the worst offenders
(ex: probably still Costin ;-) ).

JDepend looks like some barely useable statistics (for simple
components, it could be useful, but here it seems doubtful). Post the
results if they are actually useful :)

> Since tomcat doesn't use Maven(*), and we don't have targets for these
> checks in our ant builds, I can do it manually on my local machine.  I
> just wanted to make sure no one had an issue with publishing them.  I
> think it's a good, transparent move.
>
> (*) = I'd like to use Maven ;)  I even went as far as trying to write a
> maven POM for Tomcat 4.1 but the build was too complicated for my Maven
> skills at the time.  Any Maven gurus out there are welcome to try...

I'm probably not a big Maven fan. The current build is still a mess, but
works better than with TC 4.1.

Rémy