tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: tomcat stats and performance
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:58:44 GMT
arinsoun@gyc.es wrote:
> Hi to all, I have two questions. We have Tomcat as server for a struts web
> application.
>
> - We need do stats for that web application, stats like  what pages user
> enter, who user enter more to the application, performance stats ... I have
> seen that one choice is do a manual filter, other choice use awstats.  I
> would appreciate information about that of someone that have experiencia on
> stats, and he can help me to choose the best choice on time and effort.
>
> - The second question is about performance, here we have tomcat and when
> most user enter to the application the server don't reply very well. I have
> read that is better have APACHE as web server and TOMCAT as server
> container, is that true?  would I improve the performance? or the solution
> is customize tomcat better?.
>
> THANKS IN ADVANCE. REGARDS.

I recommend using Apache 2 with mod_jk 1.2 to serve static content in front
of Tomcat.   You can then configure mod_jk to do tomcat request logging which
includes things like request latency in ms.  There are perl scripts which come
with the mod_jk 1.2 source distribution which can be used to analyze the mod_jk log.
With Apache in front you can also use tools like analog to generate web statistics
from the apache logs.

For general Tomcat peformance issues there was a session at ApacheCon on this.

Regards,

Glenn