tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Feedback: JNDI Datasource HOW-TO
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:36:50 GMT
Hi all,

I have been following the JNDI Datasource HOW-TO published at,
to try and create a postgresql database pool, and a basic authentication
realm associated with it.

The docs say the config is untested - and having tested it, I can report
that the config does not work.

The config I tried was this:

<Context path="/patricia" reloadable="true"
workDir="/home/gatekeeper/minfrin/src/fma/patricia/work/org/apache/jsp" >
     <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.SystemOutLogger"
verbosity="4" timestamp="true"/>
         <Resource name="jdbc/patricia" auth="Container"

         <ResourceParams name="jdbc/patricia">
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm" debug="99"
    userTable="person" userNameCol="uid" userCredCol="user_password"
    userRoleTable="company_person" roleNameCol="role_name"/>

The error I got was this:

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(

The error message is not very descriptive, being new to this, I wouldn't
have the first clue where to look for a solution.

Anyone have any clues as to what is going on?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message