tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote Response.java
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:29:22 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 3:05 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote Response.java

> billbarker@apache.org wrote:
> > billbarker    2003/11/15 21:20:23
> >
> > Modified:    coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote Response.java Log:
> > Restore the ability to explicitly set the charset to iso-latin-1.
> >
> > Now, you won't get the charset unless you ask for it (so no more
> > response.setCharacterEncoding("iso-9959-1"), you now get it in the
> > respose.
>
> Constants.DEFAULT_CHARACTER_ENCODING is equal to iso-9959-1, so I do not
> understand how my patch prenvented setting the charset to iso-latin-1.
>
> At this point, if we could avoid gratuitous fancy fixes, it would be a
> lot better ...

If I explicitly call response.setCharacterEncoding("iso-8859-1"), it means I
expect that the charset will be in the Content-Type header.  If it is not
sent, then non-western-european browsers are likely to mangle my page by
using whatever their default encoding is.  Of course, iso-latin-1 is just a
standard alias for iso-8859-1.