tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Connector ObjectName includes address
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:54:51 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <cmanolache@yahoo.com>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: Connector ObjectName includes address

> >> Regardless of where you put it, you still have one connector per V-Host
> >> IP address.
> >

> > I may be totally off here, but in the most common cases, all your
> > domain names (one for each V-Host) will map to the same IP address, in
> > which case you cannot have more than one Connector listening on the
> > same port (if you do that, you'll get a java.net.BindException when
> > starting the 2nd and so forth Connector).
>
> Not quite :-)
>
> It is common to have multiple IP addresses - either by using multiple
> ethernet cards, or by using ifconfig aliases. That's how virtual hosting
> worked in the old days, and it is still used if you want to support
> old clients ( or command line / other tools that don't include Host ).
> For vhost - it is probably valid to have different engines or configs for
> different vhosts.

If the port happens to be 443 instead of 80, then that is still the way it
works :-).  You can't used NamedVirtualHosts with SSL.

> I think it would be a bad idea to use only the port ( which will be 80 for
> most hosts anyway ).
>
> If mangling the IPv6 address is not a solution, then we'll need some
unique
> name or something.

I'm surprised that this thread has lasted as long as it has.  I'd just
assumed that Amy would do something like replacing ':' in the address with,
say, '%3a', and be done with it.  I'm all for mangling the IPv6 address.