tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Anderson" <mmand...@novell.com>
Subject Re: jk/jk2 - time for apr
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:00:28 GMT
I'm +1 on moving jk2 (native2) to APR.  I haven't had a lot of time to play with jk2, but I
have seen that there are some issues with it on NetWare (something about it allocating stuff
when Apache 2 initializes it's 1st load and then expecting that stuff to still be around when
it comes up for real.)  If jk2 is going to be the direction moving forward (which I believe
is appropriate) I (or someone here at Novell) will have to address that before we can fully
support it.  Hopefully, moving to APR will ease that somewhat.

Mike Anderson

>>> hgomez@apache.org 10/15/2003 9:48:40 AM >>>
jean-frederic clere a écrit :

> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> Mladen Turk a écrit :
>>
>>> +1 to use the APR as mandatory for the mod_jk.
>>> You can rename it to the mod_jk2 after that easily :-)
>>

>> Heu, the idea is to make jk2 (native2) apr mandatory.
>>
>> We'll keep jk as it is today.
>>
>> * the plan
>>
>> - update jk2 (native2) to use APR only
>>
>> - port jk add-ons like ping/pong to jk2
>>
>> - test, test and re-test
>>
>> - mark jk as deprecated
>>

>> The rule will be to use the latest APR release, ie the one which goes
>> with the latest Apache 2.0 release.
>>
>> We could handle more recent APR via :
>>
>> /* deprecated with apr 0.9.3 */
>> #include "apr_version.h"
>> #if (APR_MAJOR_VERSION == 0) && \
>>     (APR_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && \
>>     (APR_PATCH_VERSION < 3)
>> #define apr_filepath_name_get apr_filename_of_pathname
>> #endif
>>

>> It will make jk2 ideally suited for Apache 2, and since we could find
>> apr.dll for Windows Box, it should be usable with IIS (Domino ?).
>>
>> I'd like to have comments from Nacho, JF Clere and Mike Anderson
>> who are working of jk on others platforms/webservers.
>

> Using APR is a good idea but that is a lot of work. I have APR on all my
> "strange" platforms so no problem for me :-)

iSeries is another quite exotic platform even if Rochester friends does
a great job on Apache 2.0 integration on OS/400 ;)

> I was quite unhappy with the -1 on APR/mod_webapp but all the problems
> of APR years ago have contribued to make mod_webapp deprecated...

At this time there wasn't an official APR release or official Apache 2
release, and webapp was using APR from HEAD CVS (with frequent changes).
Now the situation is stabilized since major Linux distributions have
Apache 2.0 bundled by default, so APR is allready available.

> We have to be carefull with the threads... Specialy if we want to add
> the feature to (re)start Tomcat automaticly from httpd.

We should, allways, be very carefull with threads ;)