tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Chad Johnson" <CJohn...@wspackaging.com>
Subject RE: [next] What's next ?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:03:03 GMT
Hello all,
  Potential new feature (for Jasper really):

-JSP Line level error reporting for exceptions that occur during jsp
execution

IE. Leverage bcel to do some class munging on the generated class files.

Chad Johnson
WS Packaging Group, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:remm@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 3:32 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: [next] What's next ?

Usually, when a Tomcat branch nears its release, a new branch is
created.

However, I only have a few feature ideas that make some sense, and the
problem is that they are minor evolutions (hence, they could perfectly
fit inside the 5.0 branch). This includes:

- Updating JK2 to use the JMX events (the same ones the mapper uses) to
get autoconfiguration, as an option. That seems useful, but it might
well be a really stupid thing in the real world.

- Java or native load balancer, with session affinity support. This
could be the perfect commons project, and is not really related to
Tomcat.

- Use an in memory Java compiler to be able to automatically precompile
webapps upon deployment. I heard such a compiler now exists, and this
could be added fairly easily if it works well enough. I'm not a very big

fan, but maybe it would make sense for some people.

So to summarize, I have nothing to propose (sorry), and will focus on
bugfixes and small additions in the 5.0 branch.

If people want to see something more radical happen for the next major
release, it's probably time to come up with proposals :)

Remy