tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Logging filter (was RE: [next] What's next ?)
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:39:24 GMT

Howdy,
Thanks for the response wrapper idea and skeleton -- that seems to solve
most of the problems we discussed.

>For access logging in particular, I'd be concerned about a couple of
>things:
>
>* Filters don't see every request (for example, the authentication
>  challenges when you're using BASIC authentication).

This is a problem.  I also think until servlet spec 2.4, filters don't
see requests from request dispatchers, right?

How can we get around this, if at all possible, with a portable filter?

>* Filters only see the requests for their particular webapp.

It also just occurred to me that a legitimate, common use-case of these
access logs is for broken link analysis.  Having the filter just for the
webapp would miss out on all requests outside the webapp like you say.
Even if there's only one webapp installed on the server, you'd still
miss out on broken links.

>* Filters require the webapp to be configured itself to enable them,
>  versus the current approach where access logging is a container
>  configuration issue.

True, and there's the role separation idea between developer delivering
the webapp and deployer/sysadmin controlling the server.  The current
Valve implementation nicely separates those human roles, which my Filter
idea would kind of break...

Yoav Shapira