tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Maher <mah...@brimworks.com>
Subject mod_jk timeout?
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:48:12 GMT
I noticed this message from Glenn Nielsen recently on this mailing list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg47341.html

It appears that hgomez submitted a bunch of code that allows you to
configure a ping/pong mechanism that helps it detect hung tomcats.  I'm
very much interested in this code, but wonder if it could also detect
an aborted apache process?

Here is a simple test I performed recently with my server configured
like this: (Apache (1.3.x)  <---(mod_jk)-->  Tomcat 4.1).  On all my
apache requests, I set a hard_timeout() using mod_perl.  It is pretty
easy to see that this hard_timeout works fine by looking at apache's
/server-status page.  My next test was to see if this hard_timeout()
worked for Tomcat.  So, I wrote a simple JSP page as such:

<%
    while(1) {
       Thread.sleep(100000);
       System.out.println("hi\n");
   }
%>

When I request this page and tail my log file, I see "hi" printed over
and over as I would expect to see.  However, the disturbing part is
that even after the hard_timeout() has expired, this thread is still
executing (since I see a bunch of "hi\n" in my log file).  I check
apache's /server-status page and the process that was servicing the
request is long gone.

Could this recently submitted ping/pong code also be used from the java
side to detect when the Apache side is no longer servicing the request?

I'd be willing to help make this happen if someone could give me some
guidance.

Thanks,
-Brian

P.S. Please note that I am not on the tomcat-dev@ list.