tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net PoolTcpEndpoint.java
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2003 02:25:28 GMT
Remy,

>> I agree we should help users come up with reasonable config values,
>> but I'm just afraid rejecting any maxThreads < 10 or < 20 will send the
>> wrong message, as if there was a bug in the way we dispatch incoming
>> requests that requires at least 10 threads.
>

> Nope, I disagree. If maxThreads < (say) 10, then set it to 10. Allowing
> broken settings is bad, as there will be people out there who will use
> them, and then will assume Tomcat is broken.

I think changing people's config values behind their backs is not such
a good idea in general.

>> I think we should make any maxThreads setting work, as my patch
>> attempts to do, and update the documentation to make users aware of
>> the limitations they will run into when picking a low maxThreads.
>> I think that would be the cleanest solution.
>

> The rationale is that there's no point adding complexity and checks into
> the very critical algorithm, simply to be able to support broken cases.

I think we have 2 options:
1. Support any maxThreads setting (including "1", "2", etc.).
2. Reject any maxThreads values that are smaller than some
    threshold and throw an error.

The problem with 2. is that picking a value for the threshold (10? 20?)
seems
rather arbitrary. Therefore, I think we should do 1. The complexity it
is adding is not significant and is well-documented.

Please tell me you agree. :)

Jan