tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net PoolTcpEndpoint.java
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:36:23 GMT
Jan Luehe wrote:
> I agree we should help users come up with reasonable config values,
> but I'm just afraid rejecting any maxThreads < 10 or < 20 will send the
> wrong message, as if there was a bug in the way we dispatch incoming
> requests that requires at least 10 threads.

Nope, I disagree. If maxThreads < (say) 10, then set it to 10. Allowing
broken settings is bad, as there will be people out there who will use
them, and then will assume Tomcat is broken.

> I think we should make any maxThreads setting work, as my patch
> attempts to do, and update the documentation to make users aware of
> the limitations they will run into when picking a low maxThreads.
> I think that would be the cleanest solution.

The rationale is that there's no point adding complexity and checks into
the very critical algorithm, simply to be able to support broken cases.

Rémy