tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_jk timeout?
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:04:19 GMT
Brian Maher a écrit :

> I noticed this message from Glenn Nielsen recently on this mailing list:
>
>     http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg47341.html
>
> It appears that hgomez submitted a bunch of code that allows you to
> configure a ping/pong mechanism that helps it detect hung tomcats.  I'm
> very much interested in this code, but wonder if it could also detect an
> aborted apache process?
>
> Here is a simple test I performed recently with my server configured
> like this: (Apache (1.3.x)  <---(mod_jk)-->  Tomcat 4.1).  On all my
> apache requests, I set a hard_timeout() using mod_perl.  It is pretty
> easy to see that this hard_timeout works fine by looking at apache's
> /server-status page.  My next test was to see if this hard_timeout()
> worked for Tomcat.  So, I wrote a simple JSP page as such:
>
> <%
>    while(1) {
>       Thread.sleep(100000);
>       System.out.println("hi\n");
>   }
> %>
>
> When I request this page and tail my log file, I see "hi" printed over
> and over as I would expect to see.  However, the disturbing part is that
> even after the hard_timeout() has expired, this thread is still
> executing (since I see a bunch of "hi\n" in my log file).  I check
> apache's /server-status page and the process that was servicing the
> request is long gone.
>
> Could this recently submitted ping/pong code also be used from the java
> side to detect when the Apache side is no longer servicing the request?
>
> I'd be willing to help make this happen if someone could give me some
> guidance.

The timeout support help the native side detect a problem on the java
side, for exemple a HUNG tomcat.

If the thread on java side is a long running task or a blocking task,
it should be handled by the servlet engine and sus some watchdog support
should be added in Tomcat.

In you're exemple I didn't know how the thread could be ever finished !!!