tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net PoolTcpEndpoint.java
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:46:47 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> glenn@apache.org wrote:
>
>> glenn       2003/10/22 06:46:28
>>
>>   Modified:    util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net PoolTcpEndpoint.java
>>   Log:
>>   SocketExceptions can occur in a networked app.
>>   No need to log a stack trace, just log the remote host
>>   name/ip and the exception message. Then there is less
>>   cruft in the logs.
>

> I'd like more details :)
> With HTTP/1.1, an exception can only occur while setting the socket
> options. I don't consider that very normal, though. What was your
> motivation for the change ? Did you see many logs coming out of here ?

Yes, that is where I saw the Exception:

[ERROR] PoolTcpEndpoint - -Unexpected error <java.net.SocketException: Socket
closed>java.net.SocketException: Socket close
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketSetOption(Native Method)
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.setOption(PlainSocketImpl.java:187)
         at java.net.Socket.setTcpNoDelay(Socket.java:372)
         at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.setTcpNoDelay([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.setSocketOptions(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:495)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:587)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:666)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

This was due to simple external system monitoring that would periodically
connect to the Coyote port to verify that the port was accepting connections,
then immediately disconnect.  So the stack trace would end up in the logs
each time the system monitoring did its checks.  In this case the Coyote
connector implemented SSL so there was no easy way to get the system
monitoring software to do an actual HTTPS negotiation with it.

Regards,

Glenn