tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Property replacement
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:44:41 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make a small proposal to do property replacement. Included
> are changes that should be made in the digester, and that I'll post on
> commons-dev if I have approval.
>
> - Add a get/setProperty to Container. This would allow a property
> inheritance across containers, similar to Tomcat 3.3 features as
> described by Bill.
>
> - Add the two introspectionUtil replaceProperties methods to the
> digester, along with a way to set the array of PropertySource globally
> for a digester instance. The replaceProperties will be called
> automagically if the standard set properties rule is added to an
> element, and will check all attributes for possible property replacement.

This sounds like a good addition to Digester.  I would prefer to also
have replacement enabled by a boolean property on the Digester instance
(default=false), so that we don't mess up people using Digester to parse
things that happen to have "${ ... }" in the attribute values or element
bodies.

> - Additionally, we could add the "set all properties" rule to
> digester, which would attempt to call a setProperty method on an
> object to set properties which have no designated setter. I'm mixed on
> this: we need something like that for the Connector, but this is a
> very specific situation, and may be abused in the general case.

I'm dubious on this one as well, but will look at the details of what
you'd propose.

> - Note: The properties used will not be saved when using save-to-XML
> from the admin. If anyone has an idea on how to make it work, let me
> know ;-) (anyway, save-to-XML should probably be rewritten in a non
> hackish and flexible fashion, but this can wait)

Agree that this code is about as hackish as you can get, but at least it
sorta worked :-).

> Comments ?
>
> Remy

Craig