tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject [5.0] Property replacement
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:05:28 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to make a small proposal to do property replacement. Included
are changes that should be made in the digester, and that I'll post on
commons-dev if I have approval.

- Add a get/setProperty to Container. This would allow a property
inheritance across containers, similar to Tomcat 3.3 features as
described by Bill.

- Add the two introspectionUtil replaceProperties methods to the
digester, along with a way to set the array of PropertySource globally
for a digester instance. The replaceProperties will be called
automagically if the standard set properties rule is added to an
element, and will check all attributes for possible property replacement.

- Additionally, we could add the "set all properties" rule to digester,
which would attempt to call a setProperty method on an object to set
properties which have no designated setter. I'm mixed on this: we need
something like that for the Connector, but this is a very specific
situation, and may be abused in the general case.

- Note: The properties used will not be saved when using save-to-XML
from the admin. If anyone has an idea on how to make it work, let me
know ;-) (anyway, save-to-XML should probably be rewritten in a non
hackish and flexible fashion, but this can wait)

Comments ?

Remy