tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From jean-frederic clere <jfrederic.cl...@fujitsu-siemens.com>
Subject Re: jk/jk2 - time for apr
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:49:20 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Mladen Turk a écrit :
>
>> +1 to use the APR as mandatory for the mod_jk.
>> You can rename it to the mod_jk2 after that easily :-)
>

> Heu, the idea is to make jk2 (native2) apr mandatory.
>
> We'll keep jk as it is today.
>
> * the plan
>
> - update jk2 (native2) to use APR only
>
> - port jk add-ons like ping/pong to jk2
>
> - test, test and re-test
>
> - mark jk as deprecated
>

> The rule will be to use the latest APR release, ie the one which goes
> with the latest Apache 2.0 release.
>
> We could handle more recent APR via :
>
> /* deprecated with apr 0.9.3 */
> #include "apr_version.h"
> #if (APR_MAJOR_VERSION == 0) && \
>     (APR_MINOR_VERSION <= 9) && \
>     (APR_PATCH_VERSION < 3)
> #define apr_filepath_name_get apr_filename_of_pathname
> #endif
>

> It will make jk2 ideally suited for Apache 2, and since we could find
> apr.dll for Windows Box, it should be usable with IIS (Domino ?).
>
> I'd like to have comments from Nacho, JF Clere and Mike Anderson
> who are working of jk on others platforms/webservers.

Using APR is a good idea but that is a lot of work. I have APR on all my
"strange" platforms so no problem for me :-)

I was quite unhappy with the -1 on APR/mod_webapp but all the problems of APR
years ago have contribued to make mod_webapp deprecated...

We have to be carefull with the threads... Specialy if we want to add the
feature to (re)start Tomcat automaticly from httpd.