tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Important requirement : Re: [next] What's next ?
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:42:33 GMT
Remy Maucherat a écrit :

> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> No reply for this request ?
>>
>> Should I assume I could start to work on settings the currentWorking
>> dir at web.xml dir location at web.xml parsing time ?
>

> I like basing the resolution on the host appBase a lot more.

Well it will be problematic for all TC 3.2/3.3 users since the
location was the web.xml (which seems more realist).

Let me explain :

If you have a large and segmented web application, you won't put
all the settings in the same web.xml.

So you're using entities in web.xml to load parts of the applications
from files present in WEB-INF, whatever webapp location could be.

<!ENTITY ap_part1     	SYSTEM "app_part1.xml">
<!ENTITY ap_part2	SYSTEM "app_part2.xml">
<!ENTITY ap_part3	SYSTEM "app_part3.xml">

&ap_part1;
&ap_part2;
&ap_part3;

With a load base relative to app base you break such 'natural'
behaviour.

Also consider that you could have many webapps, in many differents
locations (think ISP/ASP), which didn't have to know the location of
the appBase.

If you want we could make it Context optional but the choice should be
present to allow sites using TC 3.2/3.3 to switch more easily to 5.0...