tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Http Connector / Gzip
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 07:34:37 GMT
Remy Maucherat a écrit :
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> Hi to all,
>>
>> What about using regexp in HTTP 1.1 connector to include/exclude
>> browser which could/couldn't use gzip compression ?
>>
>> May be it could be use also to drop to HTTP 1.0 browser which
>> claims to be 1.1 compatible, but are not.
>>
>> CF: Apache HTTPD server
>

> Well, I thought regexp was rather slow in Java, so it could be a problem
> if using a generic regexp library.

You could find attached a patch to make use of regexp in HTTP 1.1.

It check via jakarta-regexp which browser should be exclude from
gzip but also from HTTP 1.1 (even if they claim to be compatible).

(regexp is also used in some valves)

With such add-on we mimic what HTTP teams does in Apache 2.0 via
BrowserMatch.

Nota their approach may be better since BrowserMatch set some properties
like :

nokeepalive, downgrade-1.0, force-response-1.0, nogzip....

Something which may be nice to implements (may we could use attributes
or notes ?)

You should note that if no restrictedUserAgents or
noCompressionUserAgents are set in HTTP connector settings,
there is no check done, so no performance penalty.

There is case where it should be done so better have provision for....

Regards