tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <>
Subject Re: [next] What's next ?
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:46:02 GMT

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>> I proposed a while ago to implement a custom java policy for the
>> SecurityManager which uses XML for configuring permissions for
>> the Java SecurityManager.  There were a number of features which
>> made configuring a strict security policy easier.  You can look
>> back through the archives for the initial proposal and discussion.
> It's an open discussion :)
> However, I'd say this is an uphill battle. I think Costin argued the
> same earlier, and the "standard" policy file remained consistent, and
> now added JMX security rather (which is an important feature since we're
> now JMX based). So well, I don't know ...
> Remy

 From what I recall of the discussion, the issue was not with adding
this as a feature, but with how it was implemented using Castor.

For those who have to maintain strict java security policies the current
policy file format of granting permissions is a pain to use.  The XML
based policy feature I designed is much easier to use.

Glenn Nielsen    | /* Spelin donut madder    |

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message