tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging filter (was RE: [next] What's next ?)
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:14:54 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Howdy,
>

>>--- "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com> wrote:
>>

>>>1. Convert AccessLogValve to be a servlet
>>>specification 2.3 filter, i.e.
>>>

>>That sounds wonderful and useful, but there are a few
>>problems here.  Filters don't have access to all the
>>information that is needed to make a log entry the way
>>the AccessLogValve does it.  Content length, response
>>code and content type variables may not be known when
>>the filter is processing, and (last time I checked)
>>there is no byte[] Response.getContentType() method.
>>There is setContentType() but no getContentType().
>>

>That's unfortunate ;(
>
>getContentType() is there, actually, in ServletResponse.  But not
>getContentLength() nor getStatusCode().  I was planning the
>AccessLogFilter just support the Common and Combined access log files
>patterns, and I imagined all the required fields for those patterns are
>part of standard interfaces.
>
>In fact, why aren't there methods like getHeader(String name) and
>getContentLength() in the ServletResponse interface?  Can someone
>familiar with the Servlet Specification comment on this?

That's what HttpServletResponseWrapper is for.  Simply have your logging
filter wrap the response (on the way in) with a wrapper class that adds
the necessary getters, and overrides the setters to store what you need
where the getters can get to it.  Skeleton implementation for just the
content length:

    public class MyResponseWrapper implements HttpServletResponseWrapper {

        // Local variable in which to cache the content length
        private int saveContentLength;

        // The standard response method
        public void setContentLength(int contentLength) {
            saveContentLength = contentLength;
            super.setContentLength(contentLength);
        }

        // Added method in my wrapper class
        public int getContentLength() { return saveContentLength; }

    }

>Yoav Shapira

Craig