tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From jean-frederic clere <jfrederic.cl...@fujitsu-siemens.com>
Subject Re: Coyote problems on a EBCDIC machine
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:37:52 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> jean-frederic clere wrote:
>
>> Clere, Jean-Frederic wrote:

>>> Probably some getBytes("ISO-8859-1") instead of getBytes()
>>

>> Oops...
>> Mostly in http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11/Constants.java
>> getBytes(char encoding) throws execptions so I have to use:
>> { (byte) 'a', (byte) 'b' ... };
>> instead of:
>> "ab".getBytes();
>

> Ah, ok, I wasn't seeing any getBytes in InternalOutputBuffer, so this
> was a bit confusing.

Sorry.

> Maybe we can add a static method which does the byte by byte copy to
> preserve some kind of readability, while still fixing the issue.

Well that is true that:
+++
     public static final byte[] ACK =
         "HTTP/1.1 100 Continue\r\n\r\n".getBytes();
+++
Is more readable than:
+++
     public static final byte[] ACK = {
         (byte) '1',
         (byte) '.',
         (byte) '1',
         (byte) ' ',
         (byte) '1',
         (byte) '0',
         (byte) '0',
         (byte) ' ',
         (byte) 'C',
         (byte) 'o',
         (byte) 'n',
         (byte) 't',
         (byte) 'i',
         (byte) 'n',
         (byte) 'u',
         (byte) 'e',
         (byte) '\r',
         (byte) '\n',
         (byte) '\r',
         (byte) '\n'
     };
+++
But that is still readable ;-)

And now my EBCDIC machine seems to return understandable headers :-) (Well it
seems now that the body of other things that errors are also somehow in EBCDIC
but I will look how to arrange it).

I will commit the changes in
http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11/Constants.java tomorrow if noone
complains in the meantime.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic