tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject [next] What's next ?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:31:33 GMT
Usually, when a Tomcat branch nears its release, a new branch is created.

However, I only have a few feature ideas that make some sense, and the
problem is that they are minor evolutions (hence, they could perfectly
fit inside the 5.0 branch). This includes:

- Updating JK2 to use the JMX events (the same ones the mapper uses) to
get autoconfiguration, as an option. That seems useful, but it might
well be a really stupid thing in the real world.

- Java or native load balancer, with session affinity support. This
could be the perfect commons project, and is not really related to Tomcat.

- Use an in memory Java compiler to be able to automatically precompile
webapps upon deployment. I heard such a compiler now exists, and this
could be added fairly easily if it works well enough. I'm not a very big
fan, but maybe it would make sense for some people.

So to summarize, I have nothing to propose (sorry), and will focus on
bugfixes and small additions in the 5.0 branch.

If people want to see something more radical happen for the next major
release, it's probably time to come up with proposals :)

Remy