tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Committing binaries in CVS [Was] RE: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/procrun/bin tomcat.exe tomcatw.exe
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:55:22 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "jean-frederic clere" <jfrederic.clere@fujitsu-siemens.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: Committing binaries in CVS [Was] RE: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/procrun/bin tomcat.exe tomcatw.exe

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> > Ignacio J. Ortega wrote:
> >
> >> Hola a todos:
> >> (Many time from my last post, things are settling here, so hope i will
> >> contribute some code in future :) shields up, nacho will be messing
> >> things shortly, now i'm only moderating our lists, and as some person
> >> said time ago "moderation is to coding what washing dishes is to
> >> cooking" :))
> >>
> >> I know this was discussed before, but i dont really understand why it's
> >> needed to have a binary (moreover a win32 binary ) in CVS, and if there
> >> isn't a very good reason to do so, i'm against, and if there is a very
> >> good reason, i hope i should be applicable to any other binary we
> >> produce.. thing that i sincerely doubt ..
> >

> > Sorry to disagree, but it's impossible to build the said binaries
> > without expensive compilers. (please do not suggest Cygwin)
>
> Why? Is the Makefile broken?

AFAIK, no.  It's just that Remy can't publish a version that requires
Cygwin.  And, as Remy has pointed out, to build a version of procrun that
runs under a plain-vanilla install of Windows requires that you have a
commercial (read MSVC) compiler.  The cost of requiring this is just too
high to demand of an O/S project.  Now, if someone wants to suggest an O/S
C-compiler for Windows that doesn't require Cygwin, I'm all ears :).