tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Christoph Gaffga" <cgaf...@triplemind.com>
Subject Strange Perfomance Issue, Tomcat more than 10 times slower than Jetty
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:43:40 GMT
hi,

i posted this issue before, and decided to run my test with another servlet
container, before saying: it a problem with tomcat.
(I'm running tomcat 4.1.27 with JDK 1.4.2 on RH8)

I have a small test class, that
- Lookup an Entity EJB
- get a property from the Bean
- serialize the bean using betwixt

I runned the classes main-method form different environments, but all with
the same jvm parameters (-server -Xms1200m -Xmx1200m).
In tomcat it slowes down dramaticly:

          |Command Line | from Servlet | from Servlet
          |             | in Tomcat    | in Jetty
----------+-------------+--------------+---------------
Lookup    |  144 ms     |  2490 ms     |   143 ms
Getter    |   17 ms     |  2843 ms     |    21 ms
Serialize |  708 ms     | 64147 ms     |   947 ms

Has anybody an idea what causes this slowdown, or anybody seen something
similar before? What am I doing wrong?
Any help would be apriciated.

Thanks a lot,

regards