tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Jakarta Tomcat 4.1 XSS vulnerability
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:34:29 GMT

Howdy,
This is interesting, hopefully you won't mind educating me a bit
further...

>> - Is it really a vulnerability?  What can you get from this
"exploit"?

>You can hijack the user's session or steal information from a user's
>cookie pretty easily with a XSS flaw such as this one.

How would you "hijack" the user's session?  By that do you mean just
getting the session ID from the JSESSION cookie on the user's
hard-drive?

>That's not the problem.  If you look at the trace in my previous post,
the
>problem is that the javascript was printed out un-encoded before any of
>the response headers.  You can try plugging in the URL in your browser
>(just tack on "666%0a%0a<script>alert("asdf");</script>666.jsp" a URL)
and
>you will receive a Javascript alert "asdf".  Malicious users could
>obviously write something much more malicious than a simple alert used
as
>the example.

But whatever a malicious user writes would be executed on their own PC,
right?  It won't run on the tomcat server or on anyone else's machines.
So the worst they can do is harm their own PC?  Or did I misunderstand
something?

Yoav Shapira