tomcat-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Re: [5.0] Schedule change
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:26:25 GMT
Hans Bergsten wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>> If the first option is chosen, I will go work on other stuff (at 
>> JBoss) while the project stays idle (chômage technique, as we say in 
>> French).
>> As you all know: no stable release = no testers = no bugs = nothing to 
>> fix :-(
> I'm pretty sure that if you release a TC 5 Beta, you will get quite a
> few people to test it, and unless it's already perfect, they will find
> bugs.

Hehe, we've been in beta for some time. The amount of bugs reported 
hasn't been staggering (similar to when we were in alpha, I think). 
Anyway, I think it was the same for TC 4.0: the testing while in beta 
was an order of magnitude lower. Esp since there's a release which is 
perceived as "good enough" out there (4.1).

> I don't know more than you do about when J2EE 1.4 will be released, but
> the specs are starting to move through final approval now, so I'm pretty
> sure it will happen in a month or two. Three months for running a few
> Beta releases instead of releasing it as something it's not doesn't seem
> to bad to me ...

More than a month in beta already. I think the beta time depends on the 
situation. We have less new code than in TC 4.0 or 4.1, that's for sure.
I think it can be compared to TC 3.2 -> TC 3.3 maybe.

>> I don't have any time to dedicate to either of the other two options, 
>> as I have neither motivation nor need for such a product. Sorry :-(
> Sure, I understand how you feel and no one can force you to work on it,
> of course, but I hope you do even if it's just Beta for another few
> months.

Well, here's what I do in the "waiting" scenario:
- tags once in a while (probably once per month on average)
- commit reviews
- occasional bugfix as issues come in

Anyway, I'll be carefully considering all my options.


View raw message