tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] Schedule change
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:12:57 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Bill Barker wrote:
> [...]
>> people want most from Tomcat 5 is a Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0 container.
>

> There are only bad solutions here:
> - wait for an unspecified, and possibly long, amount of time, sitting on
> a finished product
> - backport patches (we probably don't have the resources, and
> destabilizing 4.1 would be bad; we'd have to use a new 4.2 branch)
> - branch a new 4.2 based on the current 5.0, and remove features (IMO it
> doesn't make any sense, plus that would destabilize the codebase - a bit
> less than the previous option, however -, and run into a similar
> resources issues)
>
> If the first option is chosen, I will go work on other stuff (at JBoss)
> while the project stays idle (chômage technique, as we say in French).
> As you all know: no stable release = no testers = no bugs = nothing to
> fix :-(

I'm pretty sure that if you release a TC 5 Beta, you will get quite a
few people to test it, and unless it's already perfect, they will find
bugs.

I don't know more than you do about when J2EE 1.4 will be released, but
the specs are starting to move through final approval now, so I'm pretty
sure it will happen in a month or two. Three months for running a few
Beta releases instead of releasing it as something it's not doesn't seem
to bad to me ...

> I don't have any time to dedicate to either of the other two options, as
> I have neither motivation nor need for such a product. Sorry :-(

Sure, I understand how you feel and no one can force you to work on it,
of course, but I hope you do even if it's just Beta for another few
months.

> So I think we're stuck :-(

I hope not.

Hans