tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: mod_jk release packaging and connector download move to www.apache.org/dist mirror and archive.apache.org
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:11:50 GMT

jean-frederic clere wrote:
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> Glenn Nielsen a écrit :
>>
>>> As part of the mod_jk 1.2.5 release I promised to move the JTC
>>> download to
>>> www.apache.org/dist so that the downloads can be mirrored.  Here are the
>>> changes I propose to make as I set this up.
>>>
>>> First, here is the directory layout for mirrored downloads at
>>> /www/www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors :
>>>
>>> KEYS
>>> jk
>>> jk/README.html
>>> jk/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2-src-current.tar.gz ->
>>>  jk/source/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.5-src.tar.gz
>>> jk/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2-src-current.tar.gz.asc ->
>>>  jk/source/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.5-src.tar.gz.asc
>>> jk/binaries
>>> jk/binaries/aix
>>> jk/binaries/freebsd
>>> jk/binaries/iseries
>>> jk/binaries/linux
>>> jk/binaries/macosx
>>> jk/binaries/netware
>>> jk/binaries/solaris
>>> jk/binaries/win32
>>> jk/source
>>> jk/source/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.5-src.tar.gz
>>> jk/source/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.5-src.tar.gz.asc
>>> jk2
>>> jk2/README.html
>>> jk2/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-2.0-src-current.tar.gz ->
>>>   jk2/source/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-2.0.2-src.tar.gz
>>> jk2/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-2.0-src-current.tar.gz.asc ->
>>>   jk2/source/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-2.0.2-src.tar.gz.asc
>>> jk2/binaries
>>> jk2/binaries/aix
>>> jk2/binaries/freebsd
>>> jk2/binaries/iseries
>>> jk2/binaries/linux
>>> jk2/binaries/macosx
>>> jk2/binaries/netware
>>> jk2/binaries/solaris
>>> jk2/binaries/win32
>>> jk2/source
> [...]
>>> binary release
>>> rather than .dll or .so files.  The archive would be named:
>>>
>>> jakarta-tomcat-connector-jk-{version}-{OS-Version-CPU}-{Webserver}.tar.gz
>>> (.zip for windows, .rpm for linux rpm's)
>>> linux rpms would go in the binaries/linux directory.
>>>
>>> Here is an example for mod_jk 1.2.5 for FreeBsd on i386 for apache 2:
>>>
>>> jakarta-tomcat-connector-jk-1.2.5-freebsd4.8-i386-apache-2.0.47.tar.gz
>>>
>>> This will allow us to put multiple binaries in the same directory for
>>> different
>>> jk release versions, OS versions, and web server versions and make
>>> managing
>>> the mirrored download and archive.apache.org directories easier.
>>>
>>> httpd includes the source with their binary distributions, I
>>> recommend that we do
>>> the same.  The binary release should contain the contents of the
>>> source release
>>> plus the binary files.
>>>
>>> Here is what I propose we do:
>>>
>>> 1. Coyote -
>>> /www/jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/release/
>>>
>>> This contains 9 coyote connector beta release and one release candidate.
>>>
>>> Do we need to keep these?  If not, since coyote comes with the Tomcat
>>> releases,
>>> why not completely remove coyote from the tomcat-connectors download?
>>>
>>> +1 to remove coyote from the download completely since it is part of
>>> the Tomcat release.
>>>
>>> If we keep them, I will make the following changes.
>>>
>>> Take each release directory and create both a tar.gz and .zip for the
>>> release, sign each.  i.e.  The jar files in v1.0-b1 are put into
>>> apache-tomcat-coyote-1.0-b1.tar.gz.
>>>
>>> Place the tar.gz and zip files in the
>>> /www/archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/coyote/binaries/
>>> directory.
>>>
>>> 2. JK1.2 /www/jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/
>>>
>>> Remove the docs directory, point users to jakarta.apache.org/tomcat
>>> in the README.html.
>>>
>>> Remove the nightly directory, no nightlies have been done.
>>>
>>> Reorganize the releases as described above.  Move old releases to
>>> archive.apache.org/dist,
>>> move the current release to www.apache.org/dist .
>>>
>>> 3. JK2 /www/jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk2/
>>>
>>> Remove the docs directory, point users to jakarta.apache.org/tomcat
>>> in the README.html.
>>>
>>> Remove the nightly directory, last nightly was done Oct. 5 2002.
>>>
>>> Reorganize the releases as described above.  Move old releases to
>>> archive.apache.org/dist,
>>> move the current release to www.apache.org/dist .
>>>

>>> 4. Add a section to http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi
>>> for downloading the
>>> tomcat connectors from the mirror.
>>

> And something like:
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk2/ in
> the mod_jk documentation we have a link to download.

Ok, nice catch.  Yes, the docs will need to have any links to the
mod_jk download page fixed.

>>> 5. Use a .htaccess file to add  a permanent redirect for
>>> jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors to
>>> www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/ .
>>>
>>> Comments and suggestions welcome.
>>

>> I'm fine with it but the Linux RPMs are problematic since there is by
>> now just too many distributions to follow :
>>
>> - Redhat 6.x, 7.x, 8.x/9.x
>> - Suse
>> - Mandrake.
>>
>> There is way too mixed case, Apache 1.3, 2.0, 1.3 with SSL, so I
>> suggest to make a link to www.jpackage.org which take care of all the
>> current distro and produce rpms accordingly...
>>

> The *.so are quite easy to use
> jakarta-tomcat-connector-jk-{version}-{OS-Version-CPU}-{Webserver}.so

I'm ok with that as long as we no longer need a separate directory for
each released version.  I still think the preferred binary dist method
would be to include the binary within an archive which contained the
docs and source.

Regards,

Glenn