tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup CatalinaProperties.java
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:55:03 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Jan Luehe wrote:
>
>> good point. What about environments that embed Tomcat without following
>> Tomcat's directory layout, and in which the classloader
>> hierachy/depth is different from that in Tomcat?
>

> I honestly don't understand why we're searching parent classloaders
> for TLDs.

So that you can have a single copy of a tag library that is shared
across all of the webapps in that container -- for example, this is what
JWSDP does with the JSTL and JavaServer Faces tag libraries.  The most
important reason that you need to scan the TLDs at startup is that you
can define library-specific listeners in the TLD that become
automatically installed, without having to touch web.xml.

> Remy

Craig