tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup CatalinaProperties.java
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:38:55 GMT
luehe@apache.org wrote:
> luehe       2003/09/24 12:09:29
>
>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup
>                         CatalinaProperties.java
>   Log:
>   Added setProperty method.
>
>   For example, this will allow the value for the "noTldJars" property to
>   be determined and set dynamically.

After a very frustrating private email exchange ...

As I said previously:

-1 for allowing configuration of a TLD exclusion list, because we're not
out there to gain .01s on startup time, and a hardcoded list is good
enough and will give us 99% of the benfit (which is already dubious IMO,
but I don't mind about it overall). Also, (see below), the place where
this is configured seems inappropriate.

-1 for allowing dynaminc configuration of CatalinaProperties.
cataina.properties is only meant to be able to configure the Bootstrap
class of Tomcat, and shouldn't be a place to hack in things we want to hide.

Please consider reverting the relevant patches. I think the best would
be to completely remove the TLD exclusion list feature, as adding
gratuitous complexity is bad.

Thanks :)

Remy