tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Florent BENOIT <Florent.BEN...@bull.net>
Subject Classloader when Tomcat is embedded + save
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:32:10 GMT
    Hello,

When we embed Tomcat in an application server, we have the following
problem that we must "patch".
It would be good if in the Tomcat 5.x branch, this will be fixed.

The problem :

It's about the setClassPath() method of the class WebappLoader of the
package org.apache.catalina.loader.

This is the following code :

        int layers = 0;
        int n = 0;
        while ((layers < 3) && (loader != null)) {

So, the classpath is set to 3 level.
When JOnAS is embedded, several URL Classloader can be parent
classloader and not set to 3 levels.
So, for example if we have an application server classloader, ear
classloader, ejb classloader, web classloader, etc.
The final classpath has some missing jars which can be found on a layer
 >= 3.
So, please, if you can :
 - remove this test on this value (only testing (loader != null) and we
stop when it's not anymore an URLClassLoader
 - or that we can configure this value by a system property or anything
else.
It will make a better integration of the Tomcat product, without having
to set the right classpath with the same method but without the number 3.

Another request is if the save action to the server.xml file could not
saved some configurable parameters.
For example, in a j2ee application server, some contexts are created at
the runtime, but we don't want that these contexts will be stored on the
server.xml as their path are sometimes dynamic, temporary, etc.
So if we could add/remove/configure the actions of the save() method, it
would be great for a better integration.
I can understand that this is not your priority but it can be a good
feature when we embed Tomcat. Thanks.

Best regards,

Florent.

ObjectWeb JOnAS server