tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik" <m...@filip.net>
Subject Re: Coyote Performance Problems with HTTP1.1
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:21:55 GMT
you have to love this reply!!! ;)

filip
----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: Coyote Performance Problems with HTTP1.1

Steve Appling wrote:
> Chunked encoding with the coyote http1.1 connector seems to be very
> inefficient.  I have 3 major comments about it which I will summarize,
then
> explain in more detail for those interested.
>
> 1) There are some performance problems with the current implementation of
> chunked encoding.
>
> 2) I would like to be able to turn off chunked encoding completely, but
this
> does not appear to be an option.
>
> 3) Chunked encoding should probably only be used when returning content of
> indeterminate length.  Static files served up by the default servlet
should
> perhaps not be chunked.

Look, there's no reason to start whining. Adding a lower level buffering
(using a ByteChunk maybe) is nearly trivial, and since you seem to know
what you're doing, you could have done in less than the amount it took
you to write your email.
I'm not convinced it's the best solution all the time (Coyote leverages
the buffering mandated by the higher level - the servlet API - to avoid
useless copying from buffer to buffer).

-1 for option 2 (I consider keepalive is more important than anything else).

Remy