tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Wesley Hall" <wesley.h...@prociss.co.uk>
Subject RE: Bug Report - 4.1.27 Race Condition
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:05:35 GMT
Having looked at this problem a little more (assuming this is the same
problem, i had done a little recoding, but the symptoms are the same), i
have some more info.

> Unless there's a major unexpected flaw and I missed something, I do
> believe that the shutdown is synchronous if you use the stop method
> (using the shutdown socket is not synchronous, but it's another
> problem).

I am not getting the following stack trace from my ant driven junit tests...

SEVERE: Caught exception trying to unlock accept.
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.closeServerSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint
.java:326)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java
:397)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:529)
        at
a:619)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
11-Aug-2003 21:55:06 org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint
closeServerSocket
SEVERE: Caught exception trying to close socket.
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.closeServerSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint
.java:338)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java
:397)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:529)
        at
a:619)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

The presence of Thread at the bottom of each traces suggests that there is
some asynchronous code in here somewhere. Is the stop() method delegating
its work to this shutdown socket you mention?

> It's part of the source distribution, in the j-t-connectors directory.

I really cannot find this code, I have an unzipped copy of
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27-src.zip, in which i cannot seem to find the coyote
code, nor this PoolTcpEndpoint. I seem to have the package
org.apache.catalina.* but not org.apache.tomcat.*. Do i need to download an
earlier copy of the source for these classes?

Thanks for your time

Regards

Wesley I. Hall