tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Cam Smith <cam-li...@solidstate.com.au>
Subject ResourceLink and DefaultContext
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:04:48 GMT
Hi tomcat-dev,

I posted this to the user list, and discovered that a few people are having
the same problem, but no resolution seems to be known, so I hope you don't
mind me posting here.  I'd really like to be able to use DefaultContext
elements, but this issue prevents it.

Original message follows:

Summary of my problem is that I'm unable to access a global JNDI data
source via a ResourceLink when that link is declared inside a
DefaultContext element.  When I attempt the lookup, I get
"javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context"

However, If I place the ResourceLink inside explicity declared Context
elements, all works fine and I can access the data source from multiple
webapps.

The non-working server.xml using a DefaultContext is here:
http://www.solidstate.com.au/temp/server-default.xml

The working server.xml using explicit Contexts is here:
http://www.solidstate.com.au/temp/server-explicit.xml

The diff of the two files, showing that the context declaration is the only
difference, is here:
http://www.solidstate.com.au/temp/server-diff.txt

My system is Tomcat 4.1.27 running on Sun Linux j2sdk1.4.1.  The data
source configuration is commons DBCP over Postgres 7.3.2.

Anyone have any experience with this issue, or can see something I've
missed in the config?

thanks,

Cam Smith
Solid State