tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Schneider <bschnei...@vecna.com>
Subject UserDatabase implementations
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:28:37 GMT
Are there plans to have JDBC or JDNI/LDAP implementations of
org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase?

This would be very useful, as webapps often have to perform actions
beyond what J2EE APIs provide (get all users in group, get all groups,
add users/groups/membership).  The advantages would be twofold: you
would only have to configure your user store once in server.xml; and if
you change between XML, JDBC or LDAP user stores at the server level,
you don't have to touch your application-level configuration.

Or am I misreading the whole purpose of J2EE container authentication?
Should J2EE authentication be reserved for server administration-level
applications like the manager, and should we use a different system for
application-level access and authentication altogether?

--
Bill Schneider
Software Architect

Vecna Technologies, Inc.