tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5 CoyoteResponse.java
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:10:53 GMT
luehe@apache.org wrote:
> luehe       2003/08/12 17:13:43
>
>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5
>                         CoyoteResponse.java
>   Log:
>   Optimizations:
>
>   - Bugtraq 4730584 ("HttpResponseBase should create date format only
>     when needed")
>
>   - Bugtraq 4701695 ("avoid reformatting constant Expires header on every
>     request")

Those are two useless optimizations:

- Since when do you care about creating an object ? Lazy initialization
is useless since its lifecycle is tied to the connector lifecyle (ie,
very long); it is also only used in case of a cache miss, to decrease a
bit the concurrency on the formatting operation.

- Well, it removes a cache lookup; not a very big deal ...

There were big performance problems in the Catalina code before 5.0.x.
Now I believe the main pipeline is clean, and further gains will be
anecdotical (ie, don't bother). To determine if something is a hotspot,
I recommend using OptimizeIt. If you really want to optimize something,
there are parts which can be worked on, such as BASIC auth (and DIGEST
also), where you should take advantage of the fact that you can use a
byte array directly rather than strings.

Remy