tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Breaking the build
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:29:50 GMT
My preference would be to:

- Make building.html a overview of links to build the appropriate tomcat version
- Move the existing building.html instructions to jakarta-tomcat-5 as
BUILDING.txt. O wait, its already there ;)
- Add the "lazy" build script wrapper to jakarta-tomcat-5. Tweaking the
script to handle the issue of possibly being run while inside the
jakarta-tomcat-5 repository. (Because in its current form would check out
another jakarta-tomcat-5 repository)

This way if tomcat 5.2 comes along and has a drastically different build
process - then http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/building.html would point to
the appropriate CVS branch BUILDING.txt.

OTOH, the above suggestion could be worthless since there is a nightly nag
done via gump(?) so maybe the answer is to ignore the above and make the
wrapper script around the gump descriptor.

At a minimum, it might be a good idea to get rid of building.html and have it
link directly to the CVS version (BUILDING.txt) so there are not 2 copies of
the same instructions.

(And there is one last option which is to do nothing ;) )

-Tim