tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Yoko Kamei Harada <>
Subject Re: Validation of the server.xml
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:23:23 GMT
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject: Re: Validation of the server.xml
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:15:22 -0700 (PDT)

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Sabine Winkler wrote:
> > may be, this isn't really important but why is there no DTD or scheme to
> > validate the server.xml ? in combination with the defined DTD for validating
> > the mbeans descriptor file this should be a 'nice' feature. so if You are
> > interested in developing / using such a scheme I would start to define one.
> > Interest ???
> >
> A complete DTD (and I'm pretty sure even a schema) for server.xml, which
> would support the current level of functionality, is not technically
> feasible.

How about RELAX NG ( ?
RELAX NG is a schema language for XML.
RELAX NG has a "include" feature, so RELAX NG allows merging
plural schemas.

And the schema compiler for RELAX NG such as JAXB and
Relaxer( maps the schema to Java classes.
If tomcat provides some rules for schemas to include, it is easy to get
Java objects from XML documents.
The server.xml will be a plugable and valid document.

View raw message