tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject [5] Jasper currently requires a 1.4 JVM
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:34:03 GMT
o.a.j.compiler.JspUtil.makeJavaPackage currently is calling String.split.
This means that you currently can't use Jasper (at least for compiling) with
a 1.3.x JVM.  Since Tomcat isn't a J2EE 1.4 container I can't see any
justification in the spec for not supporting 1.3.x JVMs.  However, since I
don't spend a lot of my time with Jasper, I'd thought that I should get the
opinions of people that do before hacking away ;-).  The two ways I can see
to go are:

1) Introduce a JdkCompat (similar to o.a.t.u.compat, but in Jasper since I
can't see making Jasper depend on j-t-c).  Pluses:  People using 1.4 JVMs
get all the benefits of String.split.  Minuses: Requires a new package with
two new classes.

2) Simply re-code makeJavaPackage to only use APIs from 1.3.x and higher.
Basically switch Pluses and Minuses above.

Of course, I'm willing to do the grunt-work to implement this.  My personal
preference is for 1), but if anyone has a better idea I'm open to that as
well.

Comments/Opinions/Flames?