tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Breaking the build
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 21:17:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Funk" <funkman@joedog.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Breaking the build

> My preference would be to:
>
> - Make building.html a overview of links to build the appropriate tomcat
version
> - Move the existing building.html instructions to jakarta-tomcat-5 as
> BUILDING.txt. O wait, its already there ;)
> - Add the "lazy" build script wrapper to jakarta-tomcat-5. Tweaking the
> script to handle the issue of possibly being run while inside the
> jakarta-tomcat-5 repository. (Because in its current form would check out
> another jakarta-tomcat-5 repository)
>
> This way if tomcat 5.2 comes along and has a drastically different build
> process - then http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/building.html would point
> the appropriate CVS branch BUILDING.txt.
>
> OTOH, the above suggestion could be worthless since there is a nightly nag
> done via gump(?) so maybe the answer is to ignore the above and make the
> wrapper script around the gump descriptor.

Gump is a bit different than your script.  Gump builds against the HEAD of
the dependent projects.  Your script builds against the released versions.
Most people that are just interested in Tomcat would want to do it as in the
script, rather than have to wait for e.g. the commons-el group to fix
something to get Tomcat to build.