tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: [5] Jasper currently requires a 1.4 JVM
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:53:29 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Costin Manolache" <cmanolache@yahoo.com>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 10:49 PM
Subject: Re: [5] Jasper currently requires a 1.4 JVM

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > Bill Barker wrote:
> >> o.a.j.compiler.JspUtil.makeJavaPackage currently is calling
String.split.
> >> This means that you currently can't use Jasper (at least for compiling)
> >> with
> >> a 1.3.x JVM.  Since Tomcat isn't a J2EE 1.4 container I can't see any
> >> justification in the spec for not supporting 1.3.x JVMs.  However,
since
> >> I don't spend a lot of my time with Jasper, I'd thought that I should
get
> >> the
> >> opinions of people that do before hacking away ;-).  The two ways I can
> >> see to go are:
> >>
> >> 1) Introduce a JdkCompat (similar to o.a.t.u.compat, but in Jasper
since
> >> can't see making Jasper depend on j-t-c).  Pluses:  People using 1.4
JVMs
> >> get all the benefits of String.split.  Minuses: Requires a new package
> >> with two new classes.
> >>
> >> 2) Simply re-code makeJavaPackage to only use APIs from 1.3.x and
higher.
> >> Basically switch Pluses and Minuses above.
> >>
> >> Of course, I'm willing to do the grunt-work to implement this.  My
> >> personal preference is for 1), but if anyone has a better idea I'm open
> >> to that as well.
> >>
> >> Comments/Opinions/Flames?
> >
> > I would do 2. Since it doesn't affect functionality, and I think this
> > was a mistake when makeJavaPackage was coded. The gain is not worth
> > maintaining two versions IMO.
>

> +1 on 2 - same reasons as Remy.

Remy's suggestion has already been committed.

> I would be +1 on (1) if the new methods would be added to o.a.t.u.compat,
> not in a jasper package. Jasper depending on j-t-c (or at least the
utils )
> would be a good thing IMO. ( I know some people disagree on this, no need
> to flame :-)

I also added the 'split' method to o.a.t.u.compat (although it isn't
currently used).  Depending on usage (if any) we may need to have regexp
support for util to have it really work cross JVMs.  I'm being an optimist
and assuming that there won't be a need for regexp splits ;-).