tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <>
Subject Re: SIP Servlet revisited
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:03:10 GMT
Brian Olsen wrote:

> Hey Guys,
> A little over a year ago the posibility for making an implementation of
> the SIP Servlet specification using Tomcat was shortly talked about
> (see
> I have done some tests and looked into what problems this would present
> and I came to one conclusion; The current
> design of the org.apache.catalina.Session interface requires that you do
> some weird hacking, twisting and adaptation to get support
> for sessions in SIP, since Session expects to always wrap a HttpSession,
> but SIP Servlets have their own session interface.
> I have talked to Anders Kristensen about these difference session
> interfaces. He said that even though there had been talks with
> the Servlet expert group about making a general servlet session
> interface fitting the need of both HTTP and SIP it was voted against
> in the Servlet expert group. The reason they gave for not making such an
> interface was the small spread and use of SIP servlets.
> Until such an interface is designed I was wondering if it would be
> possible to change the org.apache.catalina.Session interface to
> return a temporary internal Tomcat interface that contains the same
> methods that would probably end up in the general Servlet
> session interface??
> - Brian

Can you explain a bit what you need from the session ? I assume you would
implement the SipRequest, etc - and you could very well implement a sip
session by wrapping the existing session. All you need is extract a session
ID. What is exactly the functionality that is missing ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message