tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "David Cassidy" <>
Subject Re: WAR files with Tomcat 4.0 problem...
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:20:00 GMT

Silly question

Does the user running tomcat have write permissions in the webapps directory ?

                      Jack Byrne
                      <        To:
                      >                        cc:
                                               Subject:  WAR files with Tomcat 4.0 problem...
                      09/07/2003 17:24
                      Please respond to
                      Developers List"

I have a .war file in my webapps directory and it does not get expanded
when Tomcat 4.0 starts up.

I am getting the error

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
/install/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/webapps/soap does not exist or is not a
readable directory

but there is a soap.war file in /install/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/webapps

I have also enabled unpackWARs

<Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0"
autoDeploy="true" unpackWARs="true">
<!-- Define the default virtual host -->
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
autoDeploy="true" unpackWARs="true">
<!-- Replace "localhost" with what your Apache "ServerName" is set to -->
<Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="Apache" debug="0" appBase="webapps" autoDeploy="true"

everywhere in server.xml

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.