tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "David Cassidy" <david.cass...@db.com>
Subject getCanonicalPath used rather than getAbsolutePath
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:39:46 GMT
Guys,

We deploy tomcat in a multi-hosting environment. We make rather extensive use of symlinks
so that we can
update the system. ie when the user wants to publish their content the symlink is changed
and hey bingo ...

The problem we're finding is that tomcat is expanding the symlink to the real path. At midnight
we kinda
clean the system so that old dead versions are removed to save disk space etc.

Of course then tomcat gets broken due the the file not being there.
I've checked the source of Tomcat 4.1.24 and it seems that getCanonicalPath and getAbsolutePath
have been used interchangably.

Is there a reason for this ?

If not taken as though the two methods return the same(ish *) result can we have getAbsolutePath
used
exclusivly ?

Many thanks

David

* they both return the absolute path, just is getCanonicalPath expands symlinks to the real
dir name.

in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.