tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "David Cassidy" <david.cass...@db.com>
Subject Re: getCanonicalPath used rather than getAbsolutePath
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:55:25 GMT

Ummm, is there anyway around my problem then ?
the problem is that the symlink will always be valid
but the directories that it has pointed to in the past  will be deleted.
Whats the reason for resolving the ..'s .'s symlinks etc  ?

Thanks

David

                      Remy Maucherat

                      <remm@apache.org>        To:       Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

                                               cc:

                      28/07/2003 14:45         Subject:  Re: getCanonicalPath used rather
than getAbsolutePath
                      Please respond to

                      "Tomcat

                      Developers List"

David Cassidy wrote:
> Guys,
>
> We deploy tomcat in a multi-hosting environment. We make rather extensive use of symlinks
so that we can
> update the system. ie when the user wants to publish their content the symlink is changed
and hey bingo ...

> The problem we're finding is that tomcat is expanding the symlink to the real path. At
midnight we kinda
> clean the system so that old dead versions are removed to save disk space etc.
>
> Of course then tomcat gets broken due the the file not being there.
> I've checked the source of Tomcat 4.1.24 and it seems that getCanonicalPath and getAbsolutePath
> have been used interchangably.
>
> Is there a reason for this ?
>
> If not taken as though the two methods return the same(ish *) result can we have getAbsolutePath
used
> exclusivly ?

No, sorry.

> * they both return the absolute path, just is getCanonicalPath expands symlinks to the
real dir name.

It does much more than that (ex: removing stuff like /./, etc): it is a
minimal access path to the file (starting from the filesystem root).

Remy

in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.