tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [5.0] Servlet logging and error messages
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:51:07 GMT

Howdy,

>- Stripping out all the Catalina related part of the stack trace in the
>HTML generated by the ErrorReportValve; that eases debugging.

Hmm... As long as the full stack trace, including Catalina, is still in
the log file, that's OK.  I know the Catalina parts of the stack trace
frequently have <= 0 value, but I still feel better knowing the full
stack trace is there.

>- When an exception occurs, and it is a ServletException, I think the
>root cause should be logged, not the external exception, which 99% of
>the time is useless.

What about cases where someone constructs a ServletException with a
message, without a root cause exception?

>- I strongly believe that all webapp triggered logging (init errors,
>service errors, etc) should go to the servlet container provided logger
>(ie Context.getLogger()).

Ditto, +1.

>Right now, a significant amount is sent to
>commons-logging. I was aware that the intent was to switch the
container
>itself to commons-logging (and I am +1 for it), but c-l or another
>generic logging framework such as log4j, is IMO not adapted to provide
>the webapp logging (same for the access log, obvioously).

Curious: why is log4j not adapted / what's missing from it for this
use-case?

Yoav Shapira