tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5 CoyoteConnector.java mbeans-descriptors.xml
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:27:35 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
>>luehe@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>>luehe       2003/07/30 17:19:42
>>>
>>>  Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5
>>>                        CoyoteConnector.java mbeans-descriptors.xml
>>>  Log:
>>>  Added new "sslProtocol" property + minor javadoc edits
>>>
>>>  The "protocol" property is a little confusing, as it means different
>>>  things in different classes:
>>>
>>>  - In CoyoteConnector, it refers to the Coyote protocol name (i.e.,
>>>    HTTP/1.1 or AJP/1.3).
>>>
>>>  - In Http11Processor and CoyoteServerSocketFactory, it refers to the
>>>    SSL protocol variant.
>>>
>>>  We may want to fix this.
>>
>>Well, protocol for HTTP and AJP is the accurate name. Protocol for the
>>secure layer is also the right name (note that this parameter is
>>remarkably useless, as everything supports TLS now, and the old SSL2 is
>>supposedly insecure).
>
> Yeah, well everything that you've said is true.  However, in the interest of
> deprecating the Factory (which is even more useless than the parameter ;-),
> I'm +1 on Jan's patch.

I have nothing against Jan's patch this time.
I added passing arbitrary parameters on the connector element, so it
should be actually possible to avoid using the fake socket factory. I
don't have much time to tweak stuff, but the server.xml should IMO be
updated, removing the factory for the SSL example. Can you do it ?

(and then the SSL Howto and connector docs will need to be updated)

Remy