tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: Jasper & Cocoon's Eclipse Compiler Plugin
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:09:18 GMT
matthias.ernst@coremedia.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with embedding Jasper/JSP 2.0 into production servlet
> 2.3 containers / JSP 1.2. That works surprisingly well, using an
> alternative lib directory and an additional classloader. (I want to run
> tagfiles in Websphere,Dynamo,... before 2005.)
>
> Anwyay, one of the obstacles is Jasper's requirement for the container's
> URLClassLoader for assembling a classpath for the compiler. The cocoon
> project has solved this by using an Eclipse Java compiler plugin that
> reads classes on demand from the thread context classloader. I.e. no jar
> location is needed.
>
> I've patched Jasper to use that compiler plugin instead of ant and it
> works very well so far. It's even much faster than javac.
>
> Is there interest to incorporate that compiler and remove the
> URLClassLoader requirement ?

Plugging in a different javac compiler if it works better may be
of iterest.  The only way for the tomcat developer community to
determine this is to submit a patch so that it can be evaluated.

Could you get more specific about which ClassLoader is conflicting
with using the Eclipse plugin and why it conflicts?

Glenn